Wednesday, April 05, 2006

My Love Affair With Bluffton

February 12, 2006

We met for the first time in September of 2004. I had being hearing about him for months. My sister had been seeing him for a few years and finally made the commitment to be with him full-time in the spring of ’04.

When I boarded the plane late one Wednesday evening I was filled with anticipation and looking forward to this meeting, after all my sister had been raving about him for so long.

The plane touched down in Savannah and we made our way out the front doors of the airport and the palm trees put a smile on my face. (The only palm trees in NJ are plastic!) Anyway, the drive to meet him was short and sweet. The signage at the SC state line – “Smiling Faces, Beautiful Places” really set the tone for what I was about to see. I was impressed. My sister was right (never thought you’d see that in print, did you Shar?). He was quiet and quaint on the surface yet when he really opened up there was an adventurous and fun side to him – the perfect mix.

Our first visit ended too soon and as I headed back home I was already plotting how to get back to see him again. A few months later I was on another plane – I couldn’t stay away. This time I brought my mom and my husband with me. (Before you question my values and if you haven’t caught on yet, the “Him” is “Bluffton”.)

It was January of 2005 and Bluffton was enjoying seventy degree days. We golfed, we beached, we enjoyed the local fare and we were hooked. This time, on the plane ride home we were poring over real estate information and plotting how to sell our homes, get new jobs and be back to Bluffton as soon as possible. It worked.

So, as I approach my first Valentine’s Day in Bluffton I feel that I need to do something to commemorate this new found love and celebrate the love I have, of course.

So my perfect Valentine’s Day starts with a Norseman’s Grog at the Bluffton Coffee House followed by a stroll down Calhoun Street, where I can take my time in all of the shops and buy anything I want – I just get a kick out of “Eggcentricities”. I’ll wrap up the evening with shrimp on the grill and roasted oysters while watching the fire.

In order to provide a fair and gender-balanced option, I asked my hubby for his perspective on this too. His picks include a good breakfast (Joe suggests the Inn at Palmetto Bluff), a round of golf (not sure if this includes me or not), a sunset cruise on the May River and cooking a nice dinner at home and eating in front of the fire.

Looks like we may spend at least part of the day together!

So, while my love affair with Bluffton continues and I learn new things about “him” everyday, I am so grateful that my true loves are here to share it with me. So, to those that I love – Joe, Darby, Mom, Bob, Sharon, Jamie (and the little one on the way) - Happy Valentine’s Day.

And to Bluffton – thank you for opening your heart.

1 comment:

Rod at Red Shutter said...

...dont forget your favorite whack-job in Charleston!