Wednesday, April 05, 2006

A Jersey Girl?

November 27, 2005

A few weeks ago I received an email from a co-worker, Mike, that read “so when are the real Jersey Shore stories going to emerge as entertainment for our Southern friends? Tales from "Sleaze" side (slang for the town of Seaside, where ‘cruising’ the strip is a pastime) or perhaps Belmar, where gold, oil, and free weights reign ...” Sticks and stones, Mike, sticks and stones.

My first reaction was that Mike must be a Jersey boy, with all of the insider knowledge he presented. However, when I posed that question, he responded “Thank the good lord NO --- however, my wife is from Flemington, I forget the exit number though.”

And that made me think. Do I need to defend my roots? And, is there actually a stereotype of New Jersey? Of course there is!

So, I am here to dispel the myths and tell you the story of my New Jersey. I also thought it was time to talk about something other than food. One of my husbands co-workers recently commented that it sounds like all we do is eat out – point taken Jim. (Hey, at least I know people are reading!)

Let’s start here - New Jersey is not the Sopranos! So ignore the mental image that HBO has painted and think Bruce Springsteen’s “Greetings from Asbury Park”.

First, the Jersey Shore is a land of its own and not representative of the “New Joisey” that everyone refers to. In fact, when the folks from Joisey (north Jersey) invade the shore Memorial Day through Labor Day we (the locals) retreat into local jaunts and stay as far away from the shore (“shaw”) as we can. So, in reality, a visitor will never really know what a weekend at the shore is, not the way I do.

New Jersey has mountains and beaches, and acres upon acres of farm land – the tomato is to New Jersey as the peach is the Georgia. There are communities with budding artists and musicians, small towns and big cities, second to none Saint Paddy’s Day parades, and a rich history – in fact, some guy named George Washington crossed the Delaware River from NJ during the Revolutionary War. High school and college sport rivalries are a way of life and NJ is home to over two hundred golf courses, including the number one ranked golf course in the country. Hmmm, sounds a lot like South Carolina, doesn’t it?

My point? When I arrived in the South I had some preconceived notions of what I was about to encounter. I know all of the Jeff Foxworthy jokes, and I had a few of my own. Likewise, New Jersey suffers from the critics and the cast of Saturday Night Live. But, opinions are just that.

I am sure I will stumble and I may even fall as I get used to the differences between the Palmetto State and the Garden State. And as I make the transformation into a Southerner, you can be sure that for a short time at least, Mr. Springsteen’s lyrics will continue to play in the back of my mind. After all, he says its best … “down the shore everything’s all right … when you’re in love with a Jersey girl …” Ah, memories.

P.S. – My brother-in-law almost boycotted Thanksgiving last week because I neglected to mention him in my Thanksgiving column. So, here are his fifteen minutes of fame … Jamie, Jamie, Jamie – now you have something for your scrapbook!

No comments: