Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Cinco D'Anytime

January 8, 2006

There is nothing worse than feeling rushed at a restaurant. You know what I am talking about. Your meal arrives before you have finished your appetizer. Your check arrives before you finish your meal. And, all the while your glass has been pushed to the outmost edge of the table beckoning to be filled yet remaining ignored. You can usually determine when this is going to happen as soon as you sit down. Ironically, your server will wait indefinitely to visit your table for the first time. And it is during that wait that you realize it – you are going to be asked for your drink order, appetizer, meal, dessert, and if you’re finished with that, in such a quick succession that the only thing you will remember about dinner; is that it sucked. Sorry to be so blunt, but this is a major pet peeve of mine.

So, when I experience the opposite, I feel it is my duty to sing the praises of the “un-hurried eat.”

I have been hearing about Mi Tierra (Dr. Mellinchamp Drive – just off Route 46) since long before I ever moved to Bluffton. My sister would regale me on Saturdays with stories of Mi Tierra – where she and her work friends would gather on Friday after work to recover (or forget) the long work week. Mi Tierra is a great spot for the after-work crowd to gather and de-compress. I have started doing the same with my work pals and we always have a great time. The bar is separated from the restaurant so my annoying laugh doesn’t bother the diners, the waitresses let you take your time, have a few drinks, and eat through as many baskets of their (complimentary) house tortilla chips and salsa as your heart desires.

Dinner is just as delightful. The menu is huge, and in my sheltered life I have never eaten at a true Mexican restaurant before, so it can be overwhelming. You see, I really don’t know the difference between a fajita, an enchilada, or a burrito so I can’t guide your hand at ordering but I can tell you that everything I have tried has been amazing. (My husband is yelling from the other room that the chili relleno is to die for – I have no idea what that is, but he loves things hot!) My typical m.o. at a restaurant is to find one thing I like and order it every time I go. Not the case at Mi Tierra – I guess I am trying to diversify. I’ve jumped around the menu and have found every time that veggies are always fresh and the meat is always cooked to perfection. And, apparently my “I don’t eat anything green” theory is out the window – I like guacamole, who knew?

I had a point here, right? Ah yes, the service is ideal. The wait staff doesn’t rush you. They just allow you to enjoy, finish your, savor your meal and take your time. As a matter of fact, even after you have finished dinner and turned down dessert (I’ve seen the fried ice cream pass my table – it looks amazing) they will actually ask you if you’d like another drink. Unheard of! Priceless, in my book.

Did I mention the margaritas? Delicioso!

No comments: