Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Cow Tippin'

September 26, 2005

Merriam-Webster defines community a number of ways : a unified body of individuals; the people with common interests living in a particular area; an interacting population of various kinds of individuals (as species) in a common location; a group of people with a common characteristic or interest living together within a larger society; and on and on.

If it was the Courtney-Webster Dictionary (my name would, of course, be listed first after having ousted Merriam for being too wordy) my definition would be simple, The Sippin’ Cow.

Norm, Sam and Diane had Cheers. Rachel, Ross and all their friends had the Central Perk. Jerry and the gang hung out at Monks. Often times, television isn’t based in reality. Heck, reality television isn’t even based in reality. But, I think I may have the exception. The Sippin’ Cow would indeed be the local hangout if “Real World Bluffton”, “As Bluffton Turns”, or “The BC” were ever to make it to sweeps week.

Now, I know that I touched on the “Cow” briefly in last week’s column but it is definitely a Bluffton establishment that deserves some special attention. The Sippin’ Cow is community in action.

So, here is what I love …

The tarragon chicken salad is amazing – I order it every time – the sweet tea (we called it iced tea in NJ) is perfect, and the potato salad has a hidden ingredient that I think is bacon and definitely worth your attention.

You wouldn’t notice it if you were just driving by. In fact, folks who aren’t local probably travel 278, so they will never take “your spot” at the counter.

They have a counter with stools – a great place to eat on your own and quietly listen, and learn everything Bluffton – as the conversations of others drift over in bits and pieces.

The service is top notch – always a smile, always a kind word and you never wait more than a few minutes for your order.

The brilliance behind the personalized service is in how you order. The menus are notepads, you write your name at the top, check off what you’d like and just like that, they know who you are. So, rather than hearing “who had the chicken salad on rye” you hear “where’s Courtney.”

4 out of every 5 customers are greeted by name – before they write it down with their order. This is most endearing and reminds my why I love being part of a small town. (Some day – maybe after this column – I hope that they will know me by name.)

The walls are plastered with novelty items, great articles about the place, its owners, and the most recent addition to the walls is the pink bonnet that graced the store front when owners, Adam and Lyndee, welcomed Virginia Adelyne into the world.

The license plate collection. Great reading if you decide to dine in. (Hey Adam, I have some to donate, if you are interested.)

The crowd is an eclectic mix of locals – folks in suits, dusty work boots, and flip flops. Most everyone who walks in the door is greeted by someone already enjoying their bite at the counter or at one of the small tables that border the windows.

It just feels like home.

For those of you who have already discovered this gem, I am preaching to the choir. If you haven’t enjoyed the camaraderie and community that the Sippin’ Cow offers, hurry up – the lunch specials go fast!

The Sippin’ Cow Cafe is located on May River Road, Old Town. Make sure to throw a little something in the jar on the counter, the folks working behind it, deserve it!

PS – I arrived home last week to find Heartland USA in my mailbox (“The Magazine of the American Outdoor Life” and chock full of guns, garb and gear) – I’ve never seen anything like it. Now, I know I am in the South. I’d like to do something very “Southern” to commemorate my subscription to this new magazine (Martha Stewart will be appalled). Any suggestions?

No comments: