Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Yankee Resolutions

January 1, 2006

Happy New Year!

So, here we are again, January 1. The day where we all reflect on the past, promise to do better next year and make a list of resolutions, most of which we never achieve. Well, that’s the story on my end at least. Maybe it is because my list looks exactly the same every year – I’m going to exercise more, save more money, spend more time with my family, and get more involved in the community. When really, these are things I should be doing anyway. Helloooo … I think I need a challenge, which will be my approach for 2006.

Last year, the resolutions I wrote mentioned nothing about moving South. It’s funny how things change – last year on this day, we shoveled some snow and made our resolutions thinking we knew what the year would bring. How wrong we were.

So, I’m in a new climate, in a new house, and have a new job. I am thinking that perhaps it is time that my resolutions have a new twist as well. To that end, I have decided to focus on one mission – getting to know Bluffton, and the people who live here. And I’ve made a list of the top 10 things that I want to accomplish (and I invite you to join me) in ’06. (Selfishly this should also provide me with a number of columns so maybe I can finally be ahead of the game rather than emailing Rob, my editor, at the last minute each week – hmmm, should that be a resolution?)

Participate in the Old Town Bluffton Planning

Volunteer! Donate my time, talent, and some treasure to Habitat for Humanity. (If anyone from Habitat is reading this, email me and give me a job to do!)

Fish, crab, shrimp – catch something, anything, and cook it.

Break 100, which means I will have to play golf more than three times a year. Of course, I could easily break 100, and maybe even 50, if I could find three other ladies willing to join me for 9-holes every now and again. Any takers? (Thanks Mom, but I am trying to meet some new people.)

A “pizza crawl” - there has to be a Jersey guy or gal somewhere who opened a pizza joint – I promise you my northern friends, I will find it.

Convince BT to join me in hosting an event so that Yankees and local Blufftonians can meet. We can call it the Blue and Gray Ball, the North and South Social, what do you think?

Meet more of my neighbors – short of walking door to door and introducing myself, I need to develop a better plan. Perhaps numbers 1, 2 and 6 will help. (Again mom, we already know each other.)

Put some air in the tires of my bike and use it – where are all those people on Hilton Head going to (and coming from) on two wheels? What am I missing?
Work with fellow residents and dog lovers to make the Bluffton Dog Park idea stick. (Darby hasn’t met many new four legged friends.)

Oh, and of course, #10. Mud boggin’ along the May River! (We may want to send a photographer for this one.)

If you have any suggestions for my journey, drop me a line. Until then, maybe I’ll see you at the “Meet the Yankees” party – hint, hint.

No comments: