Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Thanks for the Flashback, Mom

December 11, 2006

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, or in this case, in the eye of my mom. A few weeks ago I stood at the counter of the Bluffton Coffee House, bleary eyed, and waiting for my coffee to jump start the day. Jim, my new friend, called out from behind the counter, “oh and Courtney, that painting over there is not for sale.”

A bit confused, I looked over to where Jim pointed and much to my horror I saw something too familiar for me to believe. I shook my head, and rubbed my eyes. Nope, I wasn’t seeing things. There was a painting that I had completed some twenty years ago, propped up in a corner at the Bluffton Coffee House. (If you happen to see the painting, you too will agree that writing was indeed my calling.)

I was speechless, but Jim quickly chimed in to fill the silence and inform me that my mother was in for coffee one day, looked around at the eclectic art on the walls and offered the Coffee House the only result of my twelve-week art class many moons ago.

I mentally cursed Mom (I have since forgiven her, it is after all the holiday season) as I don’t like surprises and this certainly was a shock to my system. This painting had hung in my mother’s kitchen for nearly two decades, until she moved. Bless her heart – she actually made the trip from NJ to SC with it – but I guess it didn’t match her new color scheme, or maybe her taste in “art” has changed because she offered, Jim accepted, and as a result I have my first piece of art displayed.

I’m not sure if this qualifies me for membership in the Society of Bluffton Artists, but Mom’s response to my horror was that this little story would make a great column. I guess she was right as it does allow for, if nothing else, an awkward introduction to Calhoun Street, a spot that many real artists call home.

For many folks, Bluffton is nothing other than a trip down 278. But, for those who venture into Old Town Bluffton, Calhoun Street and its many occupants tell a far different story. Wandering down Calhoun Street is like a vacation for me – strolling beneath a canopy of live oaks and Spanish moss is like stepping back into time. The street is peppered with shops, antiques, art galleries, historic homes, and at the end - as the street fades into the May River – one of the most breathtaking spots to watch the sun dance on the water. Calhoun Street plays host to the Bluffton Festival and Christmas Parade, among others, serving as the heart of our community.

Just around the corner on Boundary Street, is The Society of Bluffton Artists’ Gallery, which features the works of over 60 artists, one of whom is always on site to show you around and answer your questions (very cool!). In addition, a learning center offers art classes to students, aspiring artists and the general public. (Visit www.sobagallery.com for more details.)

If you have not been yet, you need to add Calhoun Street and the SOBA Gallery to your list of things to do. And now, with the holidays looming it is the perfect time to make the trip, get your holiday shopping done and support our local establishments. Happy hunting!

No comments: