Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Let's Go to the Movies ... Let's Enjoy the Show

December 4, 2005

I haven’t been to the movies since I arrived here eight months ago. There was just no appeal in schlepping 30 minutes in traffic to the Island for a movie. The addition of the Sea Turtle Cinemas on Buckwalter provides an alternate to the horrors of 278 and quite an enjoyable experience.
In an attempt to escape a fridge full of Thanksgiving leftovers and the Law and Order marathon that my father-in-law was mesmerized by, we headed to the Sea Turtle for a movie last Saturday.We were greeted by no lines (which I am sure will change) but made our welcome all the more personalized from the young man behind the ticket window. After purchasing two tickets for the Walk the Line matinee – only $6 each, which is a bargain as far as movie prices go – we headed to the snack counter and again, no line! We had a great conversation with the two teens behind the counter, both of whom are also fans big fans of Sour Patch Kid candies and are effective salesmen in their own right (more on that later).So, before we even hit the theater I was impressed. We’d interacted with three employees and all went out of their way to chat us up and make us feel welcome. Two thumbs up on that!I guess most of Bluffton was home watching the aforementioned Law and Order marathon because the crowd was light in the theater as well. But, anytime I don’t have to worry about folks climbing over me for a bathroom trip, or watching the movie through the hair of the lady in front of me – it is a good outing.And then I sat down. Ok, this is where it gets really good … the seats are amazing. We are not talking the standard airplane-esque seat where you just can’t get comfortable. These are big, cushioned rockers. When I think of the money we spent furnishing our home, I wish we had considered the “movie seat” where I could easily spend lazy Saturday and Sunday afternoons watching the movie channels in the comfort of my own home. (But if that were the case, this column would quickly be defunct.) The brilliance is definitely in the arms between the seats that retract for folks who want to snuggle or stretch out. In our case we needed somewhere to put the 44 ounce soda we were talked into buying (hey, it came with free refills) so we stayed separated by the arm and about 5,000 liquid calories.

Indulge me as I put on my movie reviewer cap for a moment and suggest that if you decide to make the trip, Walk the Line was a great flick and will quickly connect your soul to your Southern surroundings. Great soundtrack, great acting, and great storyline – it passed the Courtney Litmus Test as I didn’t check my watch once.

Once Berkeley Place – the plaza that is home to the theater - fills out I think it has the potential to become a community hot spot with eateries and shops that will easily fill an afternoon or evening.

As we walked back to the car, I flipped a quarter into the centerpiece fountain and made a wish. Now come on, if I told you it wouldn’t come true.

No comments: