Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Coffee Talk

November 6, 2005

Ok, so now I am addicted. I need my large mocha in the morning. My routine now includes a trip to the Bluffton Coffee House, at least three times a week - assuming that the dog has “gone” on schedule, there were no kinks in my dry cleaning (been having a problem with double-creased pants lately), and there are no pre-work emergencies.

In the mornings though, I am often rushed and I don’t always have the time to enjoy the pleasant surroundings of the Coffee House. So, a Saturday morning trip was necessary. With eyes focused, it is amazing how many things you notice when you aren’t burdened with the hustle and bustle of the weekday crunch.

In the back left corner of the Coffee House, just past the counter hangs a map of the United States. Next to it hangs a note that reads “mark your home town.” One look at the map and you’ll find that folks have settled here from all over the country – thrilled that so many patrons made their mark, I too pushed a pin right through Brick, NJ and one a little further north in Keansburg for my hubby.

Just under the map sits two tiny chairs and an antique checkerboard, which I am told has seen some action since their opening. Books of local history and lore pepper the table tops and provide an escape for those who need one. When speaking to Jim, who was behind the counter one particular morning, he told me the story of a gentleman who comes in each morning, before his wife wakes up, for a quick cup and conversation – his own private ritual.

When they were preparing the shop for opening, the electrician remarked that every coffee shop has a signature chandelier and asked where theirs was. When he finally saw the beautiful piece that was to hang above the counter he said, “I’ve seen that before – in fact, I took it down from Sea Pines years ago.” Yup – in fact, the majority of the furnishings in the Coffee House are recycled and were purchased at the Habitat for Humanity Store. You have to love and respect a new establishment that gave back to the community before it even opened its doors.

For those of you who have relocated and are still working on decorating your new home, head to the Habitat store - what a find! All proceeds go to build new Habitat homes and if you see something grab it, as the inventory moves quickly. (Volunteers are always needed to staff the store – call 843.757.9995 if you are interested.)

I am truly enjoying life in the Lowcountry and I continue to be impressed by the proprietors of our local establishments, who go out of their way to talk to me and make me feel at home. (And I know it is not because they recognize me from my BT picture – I definitely need a re-shoot on that one, do I really look like that?)

No comments: