Wednesday, April 05, 2006

The Blue & The Grey

February 5, 2006

I flipped on the radio Thursday morning on my way to work to hear the local station’s Groundhog Day news report. Much to my surprise, they were talking about “General Lee”. I’m sorry, who?

Having grown up with Punxsutawney Phil as the only famous groundhog on my radar screen, I was surprised that he had other comrades across the country in the same line of work.

However, much to my delight, General Beau Lee (of the Yellow River Game Ranch in Georgia), didn’t see his shadow, so spring is just around the corner. (I must have missed winter – loving this weather!)

According to Beau’s website; “In his characteristically purposeful fashion, Beau waddled to the edge of the spacious verandah and searched across the front lawn for an extended period of time.” Sounds very Scarlett O’Hara, doesn’t it?

So by 8:00 a.m., I had already learned another something new about my adopted region of the country. It was to be a big day for me as my plan for the afternoon was to head out into the woods with a forestry and wildlife expert.

If you recall, the skies on Thursday afternoon began to look ominous just after lunch and a torrential rain pour began just as we headed out into the wilderness. Nothing could dampen my spirits, though. We loaded into the truck and headed a few miles into nowhere. And I mean nowhere - if I had been inadvertently left in the woods, I was resigned to the fact that I would be living out the rest of my days much like a cast member of the show “Lost”.

Once we arrived at our location, which I would love to share with you but I have no idea where I was, we bundled up and climbed a treacherous set of steps to a “blind”. That was my second lesson of the day. While “blind” could have easily been referring to the blinding rain that was whipping my spoiled self raw, a blind is also a shelter designed for concealing hunters – it is shielded from the site of wildlife and blends into the natural landscape.

Once in the blind, we settled in and waited. Time can pass really slowly if you aren’t really interested in the show. But I was soaking it all in. The smell of the rain was intoxicating. What I witnessed was narrated by my guide in a hushed voice – an irony in itself – as I was huddled there with a great hunter and wildlife expert dressed in camouflage from head to toe (seriously his boots were camo!).

As if on cue, the rain slowed and the parade began. A mesmerizing procession of eighteen turkeys – gobblers and hens – slowly made their march right in front of us. For a girl whose only turkey sightings have been in November, this was nirvana.

As the skies lit up with lightening and the thunder boomed, we were back in the truck – Mother
Nature’s performance had come to end. I can’t wait until next time!

P.S. Punxsutawney Phil did see his shadow. So, I guess the battle of the North and South rages on!

No comments: