Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Big Business vs. Having Squat

January 15, 2006

They say breakfast is the most important meal. I’m not sure who “they” are, but I’ll give them this one. So, after hearing some chatter about the Original Pancake House I decided to give it a try. We headed there last Sunday morning and after some staff confusion over where to seat us (the folks in line before us dealt with the same confusion), we settled into a booth. We received a too strong cup of coffee and I was skeptical. To me, the coffee is key. Especially at an establishment that focuses on breakfast.

But, we barreled on. I ordered the blueberry pancakes – half a stack. (The full stack is seven pancakes, quite a serving.) Joe ordered the Irish Omelet, accompanied by half a stack of chocolate chip pancakes. Hey, go big or go home!

The waitress was fun and pleasant and our breakfast arrived quickly. But then my pet peeve – the waitress dropped the check with the meal. Not a good sign. In fact it is usually an indicator that you won’t see her again. We didn’t. Regardless, the pancakes were amazing – not too thin, not too thick – the perfect serving. Joe’s omelet was enormous, stuffed with cheese and corn beef hash – and Irishman’s dream.

Twenty-three dollars was a bit much for breakfast, not to mention the drive down 278. So, after all that we both came to the same conclusion – we’ll stick with The Squat and Gobble. I’ve been remiss in singing their praises, so this is as good a time as any.

I like The Squat – it’s casual, you pick your own seat and sometimes even share your table with strangers. Their coffee always tastes perfect and makes me wonder why I can’t make it taste like that at home. The service is fast, the waitresses are all familiar faces and the food is great. Joe loves the biscuits and gravy (he has quickly adapted to the Southern lifestyle) and I’ll get the French toast or ham and cheese omelet anytime. You’re in and out, with minimal damage to the wallet. And, every time you are satisfied.

So, it begs the question. Does the small town, mom and pop shop just do it better? At the Original Pancake House I read the fifty plus year history on the back of the menu as well as the list of their many locations throughout the US and wondered – hmmm, that much experience and they still haven’t gotten it quite right?

At the Squat and Gobble – you appreciate the bare-bottomed mannequin who greats you at the door and wonder just where did they get the bloodied foot that hangs from the ceiling? I continue to be impressed by the folks who order beer with their breakfast, and the crowd that forms in the entryway each Saturday and Sunday morning. It’s comfortable. I think I may stick with the hometown choice – it just feels right.

NOTES: This column later generated a 10 day debate over my lack of manners and the audacity I had to share my opinion - hmmm, isn't that what I am being paid for?
Check out this link for the gory details ... http://www.blufftontoday.com/search/node/humble+pie

No comments: