Wednesday, April 05, 2006

HOT Peppers

November 13, 2005

I woke up this morning to more snow, which changed my routine considerably. So, I hustled outside to get the driveway shoveled. The dog loves snow, so his morning routine was altered as well but ten minutes of eating snow finally resulted in a “go” and I was back on track. Showered and dressed, I ran through the house one more time to make sure all of the windows and doors were indeed locked, all appliances were off and that I had everything I needed. I penned a quick note to the dog sitter and I was off to the airport.

This scenario took place eight months ago. My husband, Joe, was already living and working in Bluffton and I had stayed behind to pack the house and square away all of the details up North (thanks Joe). On this morning I was headed to the airport for a five day trip to Bluffton for some job interviews and my first look at our newly cleared lot, where our home would soon stand.

Fast forward some ten hours and Joe and I were looking for a place to grab dinner. Pepper’s Porch was lit up like a Christmas tree with strings of white lights and caught our attention. Once inside, it felt as if we were sitting in an old friend’s dining room – it was casual, a keyboard was being played in the corner and artwork smattered the walls. As we settled in at our table, we hear an unfamiliar sound. Not sure what it was, we turned our attention to a group of four men sitting around a square table – each with a metal bucket in front of him and another at his feet. Bang, bang, bang – it was the sound of a bucket of oysters happily being eaten. We smiled knowing that this was our new hometown.

For the remainder of my stay, we dined at Pepper’s Porch each night. When I finally arrived in Bluffton permanently it was our first stop, and remains at the top of our list. The “Back Bar” reminds me of a spot in New Jersey that Joe and I used to frequent often, and I know that if we ever convince our friend Neil to make the trek to SC for a visit, it will be the first place we take him. We have sat outside under the giant oak and watched old men “pick” (a term I picked up recently) at their mandolins and young children fly through the air on the swing that hangs from that oak.

It is no surprise that vacationers quickly discover this gem too, as during the summer months the crowds swelled and the “hometown” feel became a bit overwhelmed by the tourists. But, being a native of the Jersey shore, I am used to sharing my summers with vacationers who are trying to squeeze into one week what we take for granted for fifty-two. So, now that Bluffton belongs to the locals again, oysters are back in season and I am focusing on taking nothing for granted - Pepper’s Porch it is.

IF YOU GO…
Pepper's Porch
1255 May River Road
Old Town Bluffton
757.2295

No comments: