Tuesday, July 08, 2008

I've Done It

I have finally made the final, final decision that I do not want to (or need to) move back to the ol' homeland.

A week in New Jersey reminded me of all the things I love about the Jersey Shore -- the beach, the boardwalk, the shops of Spring Lake (where I did significant damage), the pizza!

It also reminded me of all the things that I don't miss ... the traffic and the traffic and the traffic. Oh, and that one little detail of snobbery.

I got up most mornings and walked on the boardwalk for almost an hour. That's more than five hours of walking and one, count 'em one, person said hello to me (even when I smiled first!).

To put it in perspective, I walk/jog at home most mornings at 5:30 a.m. and everyone that I see (putting out the garbage, jogging by, walking their dog) says good morning. Everyone. (Did I mention that it is 5:30 a.m.?) Now, I'm not going to jump on the Bash the Yankee Bandwagon, but I have to ask why?

Of course I have also seen my fair share of tongue-lashings in the Lowcountry (see archives of my column) and these folks can be meaner than any Jersey Girl you ever met.

The bottom line is ... I am staying put. This Yankee ain't going home.

2 comments:

WileyCoyote said...

Hmmm... Well, Courtney, when I lived up Nawth, I was told that the only people who smiled at you on the street were people who were either crazy or who wanted a handout. Fear of association, of life interruption, was the delimiting factor. Me, I talked to everyone - street vendors, hookers, and bums. Met some fascinating folk. But up Nawth, even eye contact means potential danger... Of course, being short, round, and obviously harmless was a plus in that respect! LOL

Sadly, as things progress, Bluffton and most of the South will change... pretty soon (5-6 years) I doubt there'll be much difference.

Unknown said...

...and now you'll better understand why I haven't been east of Portland, OR, or more specifically back to Jersey, since December 2005. Two years and into my seventh month without being in Jersey.

Here, in Portland, when people ask "how you doin'?" ... ok, they actually don't do that...when they ask "How are you?" they stop and wait for an answer. Takes some getting used to.

Miss you, C ~ Love, Patrick