Friday, July 18, 2008

I'm Pissed

I wasn't sure where I should post this ... I consider a Letter to the Editor or a VOX or Blog on the Bluffton Today website, but ... people are idiots and I knew that there would be backlash of the "damn Yankee go back home if you don't like it" persuasion.

So, I'll post it here ... how many people actually read this anyway?

So, let me start again.

I'm pissed.

As I've mentioned, I have been running and/or walking every morning. I walk just as the sun is coming up and the street lights are going off for the day. I walk through my neighborhood and along the new walking/bike paths on Buckwalter Parkway. And, twice in the last two weeks I have been harassed.

The first incident was on Buckwalter, a white contractor's van (yes, I saw the name of the company) slowed down and the passenger felt it necessary to hang out the window and whistle, hoot and holler. It spooked me and I high-tailed it home.

The second incident was yesterday in MY neighborhood. A white mini-van slowed and passed me and then turned around to pass me again ... this time though, the driver and/or passenger made it a point of slowing and sending me a kiss -- you know, a loud, wet, smooch. Disgusting.

And again I was spooked -- I kept my eyes ahead and focused on the house where I knew a Marine lived and most likely would be awake and have a gun. When I passed his house, my Mom's house was in sight and her next-door-neighbors police cruiser was in his driveway. Safety for just a few more houses. Then, I rounded the corner to my house, where two Sheriff's officers live just doors down.

Whew. Home. Safe.

And that is when I burst into tears. Listen, it is easy to piss me of and get me rilled up. But, it is pretty hard to make me cry. I was scared, this was a fear cry.

Once I got over my fear -- and Joe took off in his truck to try to find the white mini-van (not the brightest move)-- I got pissed.

Someone please explain why men feel the need to hoot, holler, and blow kisses. This wasn't broad daylight with neighbors out and about and kids playing in the street. This is daybreak - most of the East Coast is sleeping and I am exercising. It used to make me feel good -- I am a morning person and a morning workout gives me energy for the day. I can only imagine that the perpetrator's (yes, they are now criminals in my mind) intention was to scare me.

Now, I am afraid. And I am pissed.

4 comments:

Mad Hatter said...

That sucks, I don't know what else you could do besides maybe carry your own gun on you. Or you could stop looking good too... though I don't think that'd work either. I think the whole thing stinks because you’re trying to do something, alone, and unfortunately that's just the kind of thing the perpetrator is looking for.

WileyCoyote said...

Courtney, all I can say is some men are dirt. But I'm puzzled - you are from New Jersey, and you've never been whistled at, sexually harassed, as you've walked down the streets there? I used to get harassed all the time when I was up Nawth. Of course I was young and shapely then. I would simply bow deeply with a sarcastic smile. Point is that some men want to intimidate you, make you feel less then they (in their pathetic minds) do. When you respond with intimidation, they are satisfied. When you respond with sarcasm, they go away, find an easier victim.

Of course, I am also the person, who, when I received an obscene phone call, out-obscened the caller... those only happened once, too. Be your bold and obnoxious self, not the shy and fearful self, and you'll feel much better when they flip you off (don't forget to laugh at them!) and drive away. Trash is trash no matter what state you're in.

"P. B." said...

They do it because they can. Because we live in a culture where sex and power are all mixed up and where people who are not at the top of the heap themselves can diminish your power then get approval from others who are also not at the top of the heap. It's icing on the cake that you are young and good-looking but they do it to older women too. It's a nasty fact of life that females are still not safe to go about their daily routine without considering their safety from predatory males. I wish I lived near you, Courtney. I'd get up and run/walk with you.

Courtney said...

I'm not sure what scares me more --the kooks in my neighborhood or the bloggers who I've never met who say I am "good looking". Hmmm...

Thanks for your support y'all!