Friday, November 09, 2007

Cool Beans?

Ok, this is driving me crazy.

In the last week, I have heard the phrase "cool beans" uttered on numerous occasions by numerous people (business associates - yikes!).

Did I not get the memo? Is "cool beans" making a comeback like gaucho pants and long sweaters paired with wide belts?

What did I miss? Why didn't anyone tell me? I know I am busy but geez, this is huge!

I had to do some research to get to the bottom of this new phenomenon. So, I turned to my pals at Wikipedia, which is kind of a real source and they told me --

Cool Beans is a curious phrase that uses nonsense to bring humor into a joyful exclamation. It originated in American pop culture during the late 1960s. Slang of this time is known to center around illogical phrasings of words, and "cool beans" is among the most durable lengthy late 60's era terms. It is used when referring to something with a positive connotation, for example, "That party was cool beans." Much like other hip slang words "cool beans" has faded with the times.

See, I was right, it faded and no mention of a resurgence on the horizon.

Now, how do I break the news to these pop-culture-offenders who are trying to jump start this little ditty when it should actually remain in the vault?

I am sure with a little thought I can come up with a really groovy idea.

No comments: