Saturday, September 09, 2006

Puppy Love

Puppy Love

While trolling the blogosphere last week in search of a column idea, I came across the following:

“I know this is going to pi$$ a lot of people off, but I don't really care at this point.

First off let me say that I love dogs. Since I was three there has never been a time where I haven't had a dog. Now cats on the other hand are useless in my opinion, but that's just my opinion. I totally respect people who love cats.

Now that I said that, it's really freaky how several people on this blog go on and on about dogs.

People, get a life. A dog is not a child, baby or a replacement husband in your sad marriage. A dog is a dog.”


It is no secret that Blufftonians love their dogs. Non-dog people just don’t understand our affinity for our beloved pups. To them, I say…

Think about the couple who wants nothing more than to have a child.

They have tried unsuccessfully for five years.

They have explored every medical option available.

The woman has undergone numerous procedures and surgeries.

The man watches helplessly as his wife cries each time there is another failure, another loss. He sheds silent tears as he tries to be strong for her.

Together they have watched their friends and siblings start families.

Together they endure Mother’s Day and Father’s Day knowing that they would be honored on these days, if only they hadn’t lost so much.

And then, there are the days when they come from work and without fail there is someone waiting at the door for them. He is always happy to see them. He protects them. He shares in their excitement when they have good news. And, he climbs on their lap and rests his head on their shoulder when they are down. He is one of their best friends. He is their dog.

For some folks, their dog is just like another member of the family. He is loved, he is honored, and he is needed.

I love going to “Wines Etc.” and “Liquors Too” in the Publix plaza, where you are greeted at the door by one of the owner’s five pups – all named for South Carolina and Georgia towns.

It tickles me to see dogs at the bow of their master’s boat heading down the May River; or in the passenger seat of a pick-up truck, head out the window, slobber flying in the wind.

I commend the people in our community who fight for “doggie rights.”

Kudos to Karen Wilkins, who fosters as many dogs as she can fit on her farm. She nurses them to health, and she spends her weekends at Pet Smart hoping to find homes for her brood. She does this as a volunteer and deserves our continued thanks.

Congratulations to the new Palmetto Animal League (formerly Bluffton Humane Association), President Amy Moberly and the many volunteers (and generous donors) behind the scenes who have launched a fundraising effort to build a shelter in Hardeeville, to house our less fortunate furry friends. Support them at their October 14 “Treat Fest” - more details are available at www.blufftontoday.com.

As I drove home from work a few nights ago, I saw a dead dog on the side of the road and I cried. I cried for the dog. I cried for his owner who will miss him dearly. I cried for the poor soul who hit him and left him on the side of the road. I cried for the joy my dog brings me, in the face of my loss. Yes, that couple I write about includes me.

Courtney Naughton is a Jersey Shore native who relocated to Bluffton. Don’t give her any sh$$ about this column, ok? You can reach her at courtneynaughton@hargray.com.

No comments: