Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The San Francisco Treat (Er, Feet...)

My feet are killing me -- a lot of walking today.

First, a quick note about my funky, fun hotel in San Francisco. I am staying at Hotel Union Square right in the heart of the city. Erin, marketing diva for Personality Hotels hooked me up with a great room and a super sweet welcome gift. It's good to know people!

So, this morning I trekked down Market Street to the Ferry Building ... it was about a mile stroll, the weather was crisp and clear (apparently I have been blessed with fabulous San Fran weather which isn't the standard), and I loved walking through throngs of people ... and all of the activity.

Grabbed a bagel for breakfast (haven't had a good bagel in SC in 4 years so that was a nice treat) and rendezvoused with my tour guide for my "Gourmet Walks" chocolate-themed walking tour of the city.

There were eight of us on the tour and our guide, Brenna, was fun and energetic. By the third stop on the tour, I couldn't eat another piece of chocolate which is good news for everyone at home ... lots of chocolate samples coming back to the right coast with me. All in all, a great three and a half hours around the city with a fun group of folks from Ohio, Michigan and Hawaii.

Since my feet were not yet throbbing, I decided to keep on trekking up and around Union Square and then back down to the Ferry Building for a quick bite and to breath in some bay air.

I finally made it back to my room around 4:30 -- that was seven and a half hours of walking - and crashed. Feet throbbing, I fell into bed and I was asleep in minutes.

Luckily I woke up in time to meet marketing diva, Erin, for drinks at Cantina -- really cool bar on Sutter with a really unique drink menu and a fabulous margarita. Erin and I talked non-stop for two hours (non bad since we never met before!) ...

I realized while walking to Cantina how much there was that I didn't get to do while in San Francisco. I think this is another must return destination. Alcatraz, Golden Gate Bridge, Pier 39 -- all things I wanted to do, but never got to. There are only so many hours in a day.

I realize too that SF has great restaurants and I didn't really get to experience them ... I've been mostly partaking in the liquid concoctions that the city has to offer. Don't judge! So, I am currently eating a slice of pizza that I grabbed on the walk back to the hotel. I love that a 10 p.m. there are hundreds of options for a quick bite. You don't see that in B'town, SC.

I am off to Monterey in the morning ... looking forward to the drive down Route 1 and hoping to stick my toes in the Pacific.

P.S. I miss my dog.

No comments: