Monday, May 11, 2009

Day Two, Two Words

Outdoor Shower. Stay tuned, I'll get there...

I was awake at 7:00 a.m. today. I was thrilled that I quickly adjusted to PST. So, I donned my sneakers and decided to jog into "town" - Calistoga. Well, it seems that all these mountains perhaps add a little altitude hence, I was out of breath before I hit the gate of the resort. The only other answer I could come up with is that my trusting pace dog, Darby, was not by my side. I never jog without him, so maybe that was the reason for not being able to catch my breath.

Whatever.

It was a cool morning and perfect for a brisk walk and after, a steam shower (yup, still solo).

Then, it was off to the Solage Spa. First on the agenda was a lava-colada scrub -- sea salt, pineapple, and all kinds of yummy stuff that made me semi-curious about what it might taste like it. But, in an effort to adhere to spa etiquette, I didn't eat any of the products.

So, the scrub is over and before my massage the therapist tells me to step outside and take a shower to rinse the lava and the colada away.

Two words. Outdoor shower. Oh my god. I know it is only day two, but it is possible that this could top the list of memorable moments. As a pretty modest person, I must admit I had no quandaries about losing the robe and taking this shower. Did I mention it was outside? Sun streaming down and hitting my back. Heaven, absolute heaven. The hot stone massage that followed was pretty damn good too. Once complete, the massage therapist did comment that I could really benefit from regular massages. Um, why? Because I am always so stressed and going at 100 miles an hour? Is that what you mean? Huh? Huh?

Post spa, I programmed the GPS and made the 45-minute drive north to Healdsburg (and through Alexander Valley which was gorgeous and captured in this pic). I did a little retail therapy to go with my massage therapy and had an awesome lunch (and dessert) at Charcuterie.

So here I am in the Napa Valley and I don't really like wine. And, I definitely don't like drinking alone. I mean where is the fun in that? So, I really see this quick stop in Calistoga as a research trip for a potential return (perhaps not solo) trip to be able to give Napa and Sonoma the justice they deserve.

I was back poolside late afternoon and had another fabulous dinner (and wine flight -- ok, I like some wine) at Solbar.

In the morning I depart and I'll drive through St. Helena en route for Mill Valley and a little visit with the Florence clan before settling in at the Hotel Union Square. Giants game tomorrow night. Stay tuned for more.

No comments: