Friday, May 08, 2009

Class Dismissed

Sadly the spring semester at USCB has ended. I shed a few tears, as I walked to my car after the final speech was presented, feeling empty.

The final speech assignment was to present a special occasion speech paying tribute to one (or all) of their fellow classmates and reflecting upon the journey they all took together ... traversing the fear (and mastery) of public speaking. And, they blew me away with poise, confidence, clarity, humor and nostalgia.

Never in eight years of teaching have I been so moved by a group of students. So moved, that before the final exam and for the first time ever I prepared a parting speech. But left speechless after the finals I never presented it. So, I share it here ...

Author Keith Harrell said …

“You are successful when you remember that somewhere, sometime, someone gave you a gift. That gift is what started you in the right direction. Remember that you are blessed when you pass that gift on to help someone else.”

So, with that in mind I’ve tried to give you the GIFT OF CONFIDENCE -- to stand right here -- week after week -- and tell us exactly what you are thinking with your head held high and your words strung together like music lyrics.

And, in turn you gave me a gift. And whether you know it or not, that gift was laughter.
I never left this classroom without a smile on my face and a funny anecdote to share.

You were my perfect escape. The perfect end to sixteen weeks of days.

You smiled, you laughed at my jokes, you sent me funny emails, and you crafted sometimes sweet and sometimes sour (yet funny) thought cards.

You worked hard and you proved yourselves to me (and you!) over and over again.

You are all seasoned public speakers.

You took the tools provided and you used them.

And you should be proud.

So, as you move on to bigger and better things, I want to leave you with some final words of wisdom, courtesy of one of my favorite teachers. Dr. Seuss –

You’ll get mixed up, of course,
As you already know.
You’ll get mixed up
With many strange birds as you go.
So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact
And remember that Life’s
A great balancing act.
Just never forget to be ‘deksteras’ and deft.
And never mix up your right foot with your left.
And will you succeed!
Yes! You will indeed.

Kid, you’ll move mountains.

So …
Be your name Buxbaum or Bixby or Bray
Or Modacai Ali Van Alley O’Shea,
You’re off to great places!
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting.
So … get on your way!

No comments: