Thursday, May 15, 2008

Holy Shit I am 35 Today

“Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what happened.” - Jennifer Yane

I am still trying to decide how I feel about this. Five years ago, I cancelled my 30th birthday celebration during a spell of denial. So my hunch is that 35 is not going to go any smoother than 30 did. We’re talking a lot of years here.

In trying to come to terms with this milestone, I did a little research on some other things that are turning twenty-fifteen this year.

The cell phone. Yes, believe it or not in 1973 Martin Cooper, leader of Motorola's cell phone team, called Joel Engel, research head of rival AT&T's Bell Labs to say, "Joel, I'm calling you from a real cellular phone."

The interchangeable head screwdriver.

The MRI.

The Sears Tower.

The Jet Ski.

In entertainment news, Elvis Presley's Aloha From Hawaii television special was seen around the world by more than 1 billion viewers. The Young & the Restless, The Bobby Darrin Show, and Concentration all made their television debuts in 1973 and George Jefferson made his first appearance on All In the Family.

Is it fair to say that most things just get better with age?

Yeah, that is my story and I am sticking to it.


Source: http://www.thepeoplehistory.com/1973.html

1 comment:

Bob G. said...

(first time post here...love the blog)
Courtney:
Just WAIT until you get to MY age...(55) with the exact same inner child wondering.
Talk about rude awakenings!
OY!

(and yes, I still have my 2 LP set of Elvis live from Hawaii...wonder how much THAT'S worth today?)

BTW, my wife's a teacher, so there is soom commonality.

We don't age...we become "seasoned".

;)

B.G.