Friday, November 10, 2006

Puttin' on the Hits ...

“I’m all outta love
I’m so lost without you
I know you were right –
believin’ for so long
I’m all outta love …”

As I drove into work this morning I flipped the dial on the radio and was quickly transported back to the 1980s by singing these lyrics. There is nothing like a little Air Supply first thing in the morning to brighten your day. Seriously, singing Air Supply at the top of my lungs, brightens my day.

For thirty years I lived less than sixty miles from New York City and Philadelphia. You would think that with all of that art, culture, and theater at my finger tips I would be a culturally aware person. Sadly, I am not. No, I never visited Lincoln Center, Carnegie Hall or saw a Philharmonic performance. (I have however, been to every sports stadium and arena in the tri-state area.)

I only ventured to see a Broadway show three times in my adult years and I am embarrassed to say that two of the shows were renditions of two of my favorite movies – Grease and Footloose. Pretty lame, I know.

On the music scene I was vaguely more in tune with what my options were. After all, in my twenties I lived and worked just miles from two of Jersey’s favorite sons. I met Bruce Springsteen on a number of occasions and of course saw him play a sold out Giants Stadium in 2003. To top that, Jon Bon Jovi was the keynote speaker at the graduation ceremonies when I received my master’s degree and I am the proud owner a photograph of me and him together – me in my cap and gown and he with his big hair (it was still big then) blowing in his face.

Now that I am twenty-thirteen (that’s 33 for the English majors), I got to thinking. It wouldn’t hurt to introduce a little culture into my life. Lucky for me, Doug Barry, CEO of the Hilton Head Symphony Orchestra is one of my Leadership classmates, and he invited Joe and me to be his guests last weekend at the Orchestra’s “Big Band Bash.” The evening was a tribute to Frank Sinatra, which is how he sold me on the deal. Who doesn’t love Francis Albert, right?

The bash was held outdoors, under a tent at Honey Horn. You may recall that last Friday evening temperatures dipped into the low 40s, but the weather never fazed me or any of the four hundred other guests who came out for the event.

The Hilton Head Orchestra was amazing. I am definitely not a music expert (see Air Supply reference above) but I was entranced. I was sitting in the front row (thanks to my CEO contact – it really is all about who you know!) and was able to watch each musician and their process – the concentration on their faces, their furrowed brows, their toes tapping and even the trombone player’s use of the spit valve (amazing that he never hit his shoe).

Steve Lippia, a Connecticut native who started his career at four years old singing in his neighbor's, Mrs. Clemens, backyard had a startling voice – he sounded just like Frank. I have been to quite a few concerts in my day and I can honestly say that this is the first time I knew and loved every song that was sung. And of course, Steve finished his performance with “New York, New York” … and the crowd went wild. I guess even the natives enjoy a little reference to the Northeast now and again.

For more information about the Hilton Head Symphony Orchestra, please visit their website at www.hhsolive.org.


Courtney Naughton is a Jersey Shore native who relocated to Bluffton. She is often spotted in her car singing eighties tunes. To sing along, contact her at courtneynaughton@hargray.com.

No comments: