Monday, November 06, 2006

Giving Thanks

Darts to me.

Yes, I’ll admit it. I am one of those “meanies” who turned out the lights and avoided the trick or treaters. Not because I have an aversion to Halloween (I do have an aversion to people decorating their houses for Halloween complete with orange lights strung from every tree and eave, but that is another column all together), but because I have an over-protective dog who barks at (and scares) anyone who rings the bell. We like that our dog is protective, so rather than punish Darby on Halloween, we walk five houses down the street to my mom’s and we give out candy there.

Whew. I feel better getting that off my chest.

So, now that Halloween is in the bag, so to speak, we look toward Thanksgiving. I can’t believe it is a mere three weeks away. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. It is one of the few holidays where gifts are not exchanged and the purpose is truly getting together with the ones you love and I take it seriously. Every since I received my November issue Martha Stewart Living in early October, I have been plotting the perfect day. My menu is set and my strict preparation schedule is in place.

I love entertaining and nothing makes me happier than seeing our house overflowing with people – enjoying good food, good drink and good friends. This year however, I am sad to report that the current status of my Thanksgiving table is a mere four chairs. My sister and family are traveling back to New Jersey, friends have new houses and new kitchens that they plan to utilize this year – so it looks like it may just be four of us. Four people for Thanksgiving is unacceptable in my mind – I need noise, activity, excitement. No offense Mom and Bob, but I still feel the need for more.

My original plan was to hold an essay contest “What I Would Bring to Courtney’s House for Thanksgiving Dinner” for the readers and I’d pick the winning essay to come to my house for Thanksgiving dinner. That idea lasted about three seconds. Thank you Joe for bringing me back to reality. (Although I must say I would still be interested in some response – it will, I am sure, make for great reading.)

Anyway, in an effort to bring some additional meaning to Thanksgiving this year, Joe and I decided to provide Thanksgiving dinner for a local family who would otherwise not be able to afford to put a feast on the table. Through Bluffton Self Help, Joe and I will receive the name and details about a Bluffton family in need. We will talk with the family before hand to find out their food favorites and determine what they need and then just prior to Turkey Day we will deliver to them a turkey and all the fixins to make their Thanksgiving Day one worth celebrating.

Looking for some hearts? Adopting a family for Thanksgiving will certainly earn you some points in my book. It is easy to do. Call Bluffton Self Help at 843.757.8000 and ask how you can help.

About Bluffton Self Help –
In 1987, a group of concerned Bluffton citizens under the leadership of Mrs. Ida Martin banded together and formed Bluffton Self Help, a non profit organization. Mrs. Martin and other residents discovered that many families and individuals in their community were struggling to meet their basic needs. Bluffton Self Help sought to respond to the needs of these families and individuals living in Bluffton. Since then, Bluffton Self Help has served countless individuals including adults and children, who otherwise may have continued to struggle to make ends meet.

The mission of Bluffton Self Help is to help those individuals in the greater Bluffton area, who are in need of short-term emergency assistance, by providing them with basic human needs (food, clothing, shelter, medicine) and encouraging them to be self-reliant.

For more details visit www.blufftonselfhelp.org or stop in their offices at 1264 May River Road.


Courtney Naughton is a Jersey Shore native who relocated to Bluffton. Submissions to the “What I Would Bring to Courtney’s House for Thanksgiving Dinner” Essay Contest can be sent to courtneynaughton@hargray.com.

No comments: