Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Art of the Break-Up

Bluffton Today column
July 28, 2010


Warning: intense humor and sarcasm to follow.

Mom is always right. Admittedly, it takes about thirty years of mistakes to come to this realization. And once you finally do concede that your mother will eternally be correct, you begin to flip back through that ol’ rolodex in your mind and wonder if there is anything valid that you have missed.

Mom has certainly had some gems over the years, and the more I think about her advice the more I appreciate it. Having recently re-entered the dating world after a decade hiatus, I have been tapping into some of her most prolific mom-isms. Namely, never date a guy whose legs are skinnier than yours. (Check.) And the spin-off of that rule, never date a guy who weighs less than you do. (Check mate.)

After a twenty-plus year career in education, Mom had compiled a mental list of all of the pain in the-you-know-what students over the years. And when she retired, my sister and I inherited a rather long list of names we should never use were we to provide her with grandchildren. Said logic was also to be applied when choosing a mate. Bottom line, Mom had a lot of bad students named Jacob over the years – so we avoid Jacobs (among others) at all costs.

With a Mom like ours, it is only natural that my sister and I have also become rather adept at creating some “rules” (i.e. pushing our ideas on others). As such, my sister has a very strict keep your nails and hair trimmed at all times credo, which luckily her husband follows to a tee. I have since adopted this rule as well, and send out an early warning to any future callers. Let’s keep the personal hygiene in check, why don’t we. However, as a side note, over-zealous “manscaping” can be perceived in a negative fashion. It’s a thin (hair) line to walk, so be careful. Ok? Thanks.

A recent quandary had me scouring the Mom and sister database for wisdom, and I’ve come up empty. So, alas I turn to you as I ponder the rules of the break-up. Since I haven’t dated or had to deal with a break up since, well, cell phones were the size of Volkswagons, I need a little help.

Consider this. You are dating someone and buy them a rather generous birthday present, let’s say for arguments sake, two tickets to an NFL game. Now, the plan when you bought the tickets (because everything lasts forever, not!) is to attend the game together, in a city six hours away, in late September.

You still with me?

Ok. If you break up in June, are you still bound by the birthday gift contract? Meaning, can I re-sell the tickets, in a non-scalper way, pocket the $350 and buy myself something fabulous? I say yes.

Whoa Nelly! Slow down. Before you make a judgment, I would like to enter some additional evidence in the case. A very generous Christmas present to the aforementioned “break-up” and one additional birthday present are also both still at my house, despite attempts to arrange for a pick-up. I say, if he doesn’t want them after 30 days, then I keep them too.

Hold on. If you don’t yet agree with me, I have one final piece of evidence. If, hypothetically speaking, the “break-up” was the one who determined that breaking up was indeed the correct course of action then I might argue that all of the above is moot. All aforementioned presents are mine, and after this column I will likely never have another date again.

Yes, he broke up with me, can you believe it? Of course, I simply contend that he jumped in line and did the deed before I had the chance. This is called self-preservation.

This dating thing is for the birds! Send me your best break-up stories and I may even throw in a prize. Say, two tickets to see the Jets play the Dolphins in Miami on September 26th …

Courtney Hampson will most likely be single for the rest of her life and she’s ok with that. Send her your break-up story at courtneyh@hargray.com.

3 comments:

Mad Hatter said...

Oh Courtney, yes, I went through my own dating "purgatory" way back when. I thought for sure I would never find anyone. Really, I lucked out and found someone (my wife) just before I was ready to give up completely. I don't have break up stories per say, as most of my experiences never got past the first date. As for the tickets, perhaps selling them to the ex? Barring that, I'd say sell them and spend it on yourself.

Mad Hatter said...

Thinking back, I can remember my girlfriend of 2 years that I had a very rocky relationship with (it was either very hot or downright frigid) We were serious, or at least as serious as 20 somethings can be. We moved in together, then 3 months later she and her sister/mom moved her out while I was at work. I came home to an empty house. Then 3 months later she moved back in with me... and another 3 months went by and I had finally had enough for good... and I moved down here. Leaving her in the upstate. There is more to it but that is a rated "R" discussion or worse. lol

"P. B." said...

Well, Courtney, I'm a mom of women older than you and I've also been single more of my life than I've been married. With those credentials, I say you might be overthinking the whole thing. Years from now, how important will any of this be? I hardly remember the people who had a lot of room in my head at one time or another. Do whatever it is you want to do. I bet you really know what that is. Don't worry about how it will look to someone else. Dr Phil says, "You wouldn't worry so much about what people think of you if you knew how seldom they do."

Live your life and be as happy as you can be. Good things and people are ahead.