Monday, September 08, 2008

Courtney Naughton is STILL in South Carolina?

My furor over a local elected officials statement that boils down to "new residents go home, I don't care what you think" received some press in Bluffton Today and the Island Packet.

But, considering the apathy in our town regarding local politics I didn't expect much in the way of a response. I got a "Go Jersey Girl" cheer and then one commented that baffled me, printed in Friday's BT. It went something like this ...

"Frankly, I am surprised that Courtney Naughton is still in South Carolina."

Come again? I think the point is being missed on this one. This isn't about me. It is about one of Bluffton's Town Council Members saying in public and on the record that he doesn't consider the opinions of the "new people" in town to be valid.

Well, wake up people. 80% of Bluffton is made up of new residents. Why don't you care?

1 comment:

WileyCoyote said...

But, my dear girl, if they make it about YOU instead of what you SAID, it makes everything you said illegitimate and not worth considering... and that's the whole point, to discredit your view, to turn you into a nonentity. If they turn the discussion to YOU, then what was said by the elected official doesn't matter, isn't important, and can be ignored or passed over. They've done it for years....