Sunday, December 09, 2007

Now, you've gone and pissed me off ...

Why are people late?

Always late. On purpose late.

I understand getting stuck in traffic late, a last minute emergency late, wearing two different shoes and having to go back home to change late.

But to show up late um, just to be late. I don't get it.

(Note: If you tell me that you will be late, we have no problem.)

When my students are late I try to ignore their disruption, I flash them the evil eye and then at the end of class remind everyone that my pet peeve is late arrivals. This usually results in said late student writing an apology on their thought card (submitted each class as a way to communicate with me) and sliding it to the bottom of the pile as they skulk out of the room. Mission accomplished.

But in theory, I can do that with my students.

The question is how do you broach this subject with friends?

I've come up with a few options:

1. Force them to stand on the porch peering in the windows to see all of the fun that they are missing. (the rest of us will point and laugh)

2. Make them clean up when the party ends - dirty dishes, floors, the whole package - whilst I lay on the couch eating bon bons.

3. Put all of the empty beer and wine bottles in their car on a warm day and let them bake in the South Carolina sun.

4. Pull them from the invite list.

My list of tortures goes on, but it is just that - a list. (I talk a big game)

To all friends reading this blog who are coincidentally often late - I am of course not writing about you.

And, to "Margarita Gill" - who I know is reading -- thank goodness you and "Wyoming" showed up on time last night!

No comments: