Sunday, September 03, 2006

We Live in a Fantasy World

Well, I have the 11th draft pick in my fantasy football league, which I have come to learn, means that I will have the 11th best running back. Now, I really don’t follow football, but it was the brainchild of Joe that if we join a fantasy league together, we will watch the games together, and I won’t be able to complain about our satellite television bill, which includes the football package. A smart man, indeed!

So, our league draft is scheduled for tomorrow, which means I have a few hours left to print out some cheat sheets. As I watch the emails fly between my league mates – four from Bluffton and eight from New Jersey – I am amazed by the amount of time that is being dedicated to this endeavor. There is nothing “real” about this (hence the name fantasy) but the need to “win” this “fake” league abounds. And, that got me thinking.

Wouldn’t it be fun if we could apply the fantasy sports model to other things?

In fantasy politics we would be able to pick our own candidates and see them through the election. My fantasy politics league would be the Beaufort County Council. I would draft a challenger for the District 4 (Bluffton) seat to run in the November elections as a write-in candidate. The Republican candidate, Wm. Weston Newton, is moving from District 3 (Hilton Head) and looking to fill the spot vacated by Peter Lamb earlier this year. He is running unopposed.

We have so many people in Bluffton with great ideas and strong voices. While it is too late to file to be officially on the ballot, in this day and age of electronic media, a write-in candidate could run a virtual
campaign and see success. Is anyone game?

Think about it Bluffton, only 265 voters turned out last November for our election (and only 280 votes were cast in 2004). So, theoretically, if we err on the cautious side, a candidate would only need approximately 150 votes to win the County Council seat. It isn’t a far fetched idea.

As I have previously disclaimed, I am politically challenged. However, for me this is about choices. Our system allows us the opportunity to make choices on Election Day. Why don't we take advantage of this right we enjoy and do something about it? Just a thought.

On a lighter note …

In my fantasy television world, “Celebrity Duets” would not be a show and Joan Rivers would not be allowed to host another awards show – how is it that after thirty years at it, she still doesn’t know who the
stars are?

In fantasy happy hour land, beers at Pepper’s Porch are $1 each and $3 pitcher. In reality, the prices have gone up. My trek there last Friday night ended up costing $1.50 per beer and $5 per pitcher. Still a deal in my book but wow, how quickly things change.

Courtney Naughton is a Jersey Shore native who relocated to Bluffton. This column is in no way intended to insight any riots. If you are interested in the idea of a write-in candidate for Beaufort County Council, contact Courtney via email at courtneynaughton@hargray.com.

No comments: